Tyne and Wear HER(7792): South Shields, Sunderland Road, Cleadon Cottage (Cleadon Park - Details
South Shields, Sunderland Road, Cleadon Cottage (Cleadon Park
Post enclosure farmsted. Rebuilt in 1853 by John Dobson for Swinburne. Forty years later James Kirkley carried out major works including a vast palm house. Sunderland Corporation bought it in 1918 and from 1921 to 1978 it was used as a hospital. Demolished in 1982.
P. Meadows and E. Waterson, 1993, Lost Houses of County Durham, p 37; N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson, 1985, The Buildings of England - County Durham; National Monuments Record UID 1075686, 1050602, NMR NZ 36 SE 30; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas; Tithe plan 1839, DDR/EA/TTH/1/252