You are Here: Home / Earsdon, Chapel of St. Alban
Earsdon, Chapel of St. Alban
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Though St. Alban's chapel at Earsdon is not in the list of 1176, it had been founded before 1250 when the vicar of the mother church at Tynemouth was required to provide a chaplain, etc. for the chapel. Until 1846 the chapelry consisted of the townships of Earsdon, Backworth, Burradon, Seghill, Holywell, Hartley, Seaton Delaval and Newsham. "The old chapel was a plain structure without aisles, transepts, or tower. A porch at the west end of the nave, on the south side, and a door into the chancel, were of Transitional or Early English character. There were stone seats inside the porch, and a sun-dial over the outer doorway. At a later date the pitched roof was lowered, a belfry was added at the west end, the chancel door was blocked up, and rectangular windows were substituted for the original lights". The chapel was demolished in 1837, and replaced with the present, larger, church.
<< HER 782 >> H.H.E. Craster, ed. 1909, St. Alban's Chapel, Northumberland County History, IX, 14-24 J.C. Hodgson, 1895, A Survey of the Churches of the Archdeaconry of Northumberland... Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVII, 245-6 R. Welford, 1909, Local Muniments, Archaeologia Aeliana, 3, V, ,116 n J.W. Fawcett, 1927, Archdeacon Thorpe's Visitation of Northumberland in 1792-3,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 4, II (for 1925-26), 163 1563, Earsdon chapel, arbitration award, 1DE 8.108 -Northumberland Records Office