Tyne and Wear HER(7825): West Brunton Farm - Details
West Brunton Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
The origins of the farm are uncertain, but it is shown on a township map of 1730. The 1858 OS plan shows a detached north-south building, a farm house and separate stable as well as an L shaped, threshing barn with gingang. The second edition ordnance survey plan, 1897, shows some of the buildings which exist on site today (2015). The farm was remodelled in the 1880s by Robert Laycock the estate owner. It also has 20th century additions. The buildings were recorded in 2015 ahead of redevelopment.
The Archaeological Practice, 1997, Northern Development Area, City of Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeological Assessment. Unpublished report for Nathaniel Lichfield & Partners. (T&W HER 1997 Box 16/44); Archaeological Services Durham University, 2015, West Brunton Farm, Brunton Lane - Archaeological Building Recording