Tyne and Wear HER(7826): Monkton, Castle Hill - Details
Monkton, Castle Hill
The field names ‘Castle Hill’ appears on a map of 1783, perhaps marking the site of a fortification positioned to defend the crossilng of the River Don. It has bees suggested that this putative fortification may have been Roman, perhaps due to its proximity to the Wrekendyke, but earlier and later dates are also possible. The field name ‘Cisters Close’ appears north-east of Castle Hill on the same 18th century map and may be related. Medieval documentary references to the ‘Castleway’ may allude to the same site.
Speak S & Inkster K, 1997, Springwell Paper Mill, Jarrow: Archaeological Assessment. Unpublished report by Tyne & Wear Museums Archaeology Department for Cussins Homes Ltd. (T&W HER 1997 Box 16A/52)