Tyne and Wear HER(7832): South Shields, Mill Dam, Tilery - Details
South Shields, Mill Dam, Tilery
Brick and Tilemaking Site
Richardsonâ€™s plan of 1768 shows a large area east of the market place given over to a tilery. This seems to have disappeared by the early 19th century.
A plan of the Townships of Westoe and Harton belonging to the Honourable and Reverend The Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral of Durham, by Richard Richardson, 1768. Inkster K and Speak S, 1998, Coronation Street, South Shields: An Archaeological Assesment. (T&W HER 1998, Box 18/8)