Tyne and Wear HER(7834): South Shields, Mill Dam, Brickyard - Details
South Shields, Mill Dam, Brickyard
Brick and Tilemaking Site
Richardsonâ€™s plan of 1768 shows a Brickyard south of the salt pans and windmill on the south side of Mill Dam. This seems to have disappeared by the early 19th century.
A plan of the Townships of Westoe and Harton belonging to the Honourable and Reverend The Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral of Durham, by Richard Richardson, 1768. Inkster K and Speak S, 1998, Coronation Street, South Shields: An Archaeological Assesment. (T&W HER 1998, Box 18/8)