Tyne and Wear HER(7838): East Boldon, The Hawthorns, Nos. 1 to 15 - Details
East Boldon, The Hawthorns, Nos. 1 to 15
Semi Detached House
Imposing two storey buff brick houses in semi-detached form. Large projecting gables face the street enlivened with darker brick string courses, copious timber and sandstone detailing. All but one of the front elevations have been painted, bays altered, bargeboards missing and a mix of hedges, walls and fencing. No. 3 is the only house to retain its polychromatic brickwork and original windows. Nos. 2 to 6 are plainer than Nos. 1 to 15. These three houses are also altered and partly painted but some sash windows survive along with grand classical door cases and unusual outer doors. The bold extension to No. 6 is enhanced with cedar cladding.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon