Tyne and Wear HER(7841): East Boldon, Ashleigh Villas, Nos. 1 to 7 & No. 1 Station Rd - Details
East Boldon, Ashleigh Villas, Nos. 1 to 7 & No. 1 Station Rd
A mature authentic group. Imposing two storey buff brick houses in semi-detached and terraced form. Brickwork is attractively weathered. There are many original windows, doors, bays, window surrounds, door cases, porches, bargeboards. Boundary walls are intact and gardens are rich with trees and shrubs. No. 7 has an intrusive large flat-roofed dormer. No. 1 Station Road (South View) has inaccurate replica windows but a well designed garage extension. Nos. 3 and 4 are later, in red brick and are of a different Edwardian baroque style. They have a low pitched hipped slate roof and original elegant multi-paned sash windows. No. 4 has a large rear extension. There are long gardens to the rear running to a back lane. The west end of Ashleigh Villas is the junction of Station Road, Front Street and Sunderland Road. This is known locally as Black's Corner, named after a former baker's shop.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon