Tyne and Wear HER(7848): Lemington Gut, brick and stone buildings - Details
Lemington Gut, brick and stone buildings
In 1999 photographs were taken of a brick and stone building with pan-tiled roof and recessed north-west corner wall, situated next to the quay walls of Lemington Gut, south of the ironworks site. Its date is uncertain, but it seems to have been part of the ironworks site and may pre-date it. It is shown on a map of 1844 (AP 1999, p.17), on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and in a truncated form on the 2nd edition of 1899. This enigmatic structure, latterly a stable, was pulled down sometime between 1999 and 2003, but its foundations are likely to survive.
The Archaeological Practice, 1999, Newburn Haugh: Archaeological Assessment, pp.28, 36 & 41. Unpublished report for WSP Environmental; Scott Wilson, 2010, Scotswood Road, Lemington - Archaeological Assessment