Tyne and Wear HER(7849): Lemington Gut, quay walls - Details
Lemington Gut, quay walls
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Regulation Installation
Quay walls survive well between the site of the staithes, adjacent to the ironworks managers house and a point immediately south-east of the ironworks (approx. NZ 1847 eastwards to NZ 1866 6447). These walls probably pre-date the construction of a channel across Blaydon Haugh by the Tyne Improvement Commission in the 1850s which created the Gut and led to a waning of industrial development at Lemington (the ironworks already being closed/in decline by this time). The Gut survives as a silted cul-de-sac of the Tyne, preserving the quayside walls alodn with fragmentary remains of staithes and, probably, sunken boats in its silt.
The Archaeological Practice, 1999, Newburn Haugh: Archaeological Assessment, pp.28, 36 & 41. Unpublished report for WSP Environmental; Scott Wilson, 2010, Scotswood Road, Lemington - Archaeological Assessment