Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Longbenton village

Tyne and Wear HER(786): Longbenton village - Details

Back to Search Results


786


N Tyneside


Longbenton village


Longbenton


NZ26NE


Domestic


Settlement


Village


Medieval


C13


Documentary Evidence


Long Benton (Magna Benton) was a member of the barony of Merlay or Morpeth. The barony dates from the beginning of the 12th century, though whether Benton is explicitly named before the 13th century is not clear. When the barony was divided after 1266 so was Benton, one half ending up with the Brandlings of Gosforth, the other with the Stotes of Jesmond. Though there were few freeholders in the Middle Ages, it was a large village, there being 14 taxpayers in 1296, 18 in 1312. It was an exceptionally long, 2-row, settlement, stretching eastwards from Four Lane Ends to the modern Tynedale Terrace, and at the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey map (c. 1860) it included several farms. Though a number of 18th and 19th century stone houses survive the north row has been broken by large pubs and carparks, and the village as a whole is enmeshed in modern housing estates.


273


685


NZ273685



<< HER 786 >> W.S. Gibson, 1846, The History of the Monastery at Tynemouth, I, 119; II (1847), lxxxviii-lxxxix, cxxv-cxxvi M.H. Dodds, ed. 1930, Long Benton Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 407-14 Northumberland Records Office- Rentals of Grey of Backworth, 753, Box 3 Bundle B no. 12 Northumberland Records Office- Tithe Award, 1842, Long Benton, DT 320M Seymour Bell, 1840, Benton House, 2.2- Newcastle Library Local Studies Seymour Bell, (date unknown), Scaffold Hill, 2.5 Seymour Bell, 1876, Rising Sun Farm, 2.2 Seymour Bell, 1851, Scaffold Hill and North Farm, 2.21 1780, Plan of the village of Long Benton, copied 1930, DBC 427 -North Shields Library Local Studies Ordnance Survey maps, 1858, 1st ed. 1:2500 LXXXVIII.12; W.G. Elliott, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor, Killingworth, Palmersville and Benton Square, Book Two, pp 10-11; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth

Back to Search Results