Tyne and Wear HER(7861): Gateshead, Bottle Bank, Goat Inn - Details
Title of image: The Goat Inn, Bottle Bank
Description: The Goat Inn has been known by a few names in the past. In 1616 it was known as Bell of the Hoop. In 1627 it was called the Spread Eagle. Finally in 1672 it became The Goat. The rooms of the pub were used for various reasons including courts of law, distribution of charity and the meeting place of the Freemasons. A carved goat was placed outside the pub and is now in Shipley Art Gallery where it was moved to after the pub was demolished in 1925 to make way for the Tyne Bridge.
Location/Collection: Gateshead Libraries/Gateshead Local Studies Image Collection
Accession number: GL004296
Copyright: Content Copyright Â© Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved.
Gateshead, Bottle Bank, Goat Inn
The famous Goat Inn stood in Bottle Bank. It was widely known as the "Navries". In 1616 it had been known as the "Bell of the Hoop", in 1627 "The Spread Eagle" and the "Goat Inn" from 1672. The Court of Justic was held for many years in the long room, from where prisoners were sent to Durham Gaol. Here also was the distribution by the wardens of St. Mary's of the various charities. After a parade on November 16th 1803, the colours of the first Gateshead Volunteers, commanded by Cuthbert Ellison Esq., were deposited at the Goat Inn. They remained here until 1854 when Cuthbert Ellison presented them to Gateshead Council. The inn provided a dinner for a distinguished group of officers who had taken part in the parade, including the Right Hon. The Earl of Strathmore, Cuthbert Ellison Esq., J. Carr Esq. and others, along with the officers of Newcastle and Gateshead Volunteers. It was demolished to make way for the New Tyne Bridge. The figure of the goat, the sign of the inn, is housed with the Public Library.
D. Lumley, 1932, The Story of Gateshead Town - From the earliest age to the mid Victorian, pp 67-70