Tyne and Wear HER(7865): Bensham Lunatic Asylum - Details
Bensham Lunatic Asylum
Health and Welfare
The Bensham Lunatic Asylum was enlcosed within extensive grounds. In 1932 one of the buildings near to Bensham railway station was in use as a motor garage, another building became St. Cuthbert's Church Institute (in Sidney Grove). Both had iron-framed windows. The asylum was known as Glentons, after one of the proprietors. The asylum was founded around 1830 and was in use until around 1875 when the inmates were moved to Garbutt's Asylum at Dunston.
D. Lumley, 1932, The Story of Gateshead Town - From the earliest age to the mid Victorian, p 124-125