Tyne and Wear HER(787): North Weetslade chapel - Details
North Weetslade chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Late 13th century references in the assize rolls to an action between the rector of Benton and the chaplain of North Weetslade provide just enough documentary evidence to show that there was a medieval chapel here. There was no incumbent "in the free chapel of Weetslade" in 1548, and in c. 1715 Warburton wrote, "Witchled...where formerly was an old chapel". The site is unknown.
<< HER 787 >> J.C. Hodgson, 1916, Notices of Ruined Towers, Chapels etc. in Northumberland, circa 1715, Archaeologia Aeliana, 3, XIII, 5 M.H. Dodds, ed. 1930, North Weetslade Chapel, Northumberland County History, XIII, 405-06