Tyne and Wear HER(7878): Whitley Bay, Prudhoe Memorial Convalescent Home - Details
Title of image: Prudhoe Convalescent Home, Whitley Bay
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hospitals Collection
Accession number: NCL 002734
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Whitley Bay, Prudhoe Memorial Convalescent Home
Health and Welfare
Located at Whitley Links. Opened on 14th September 1869 by her Grace the Dowager-Duchess of Northumberland. A stone building arranged on a pavilion plan, consisting of a central block with a corridor at right angles with projecting day and night sleeping rooms. There were open spaces in-between the rooms to provide ventilation and light. The building is raised several feet above ground level, approached by an elevated terrace with steps and an inclined roadway. The home held 140 patients (100 males and 40 females). It stood in beautiful gardens.
W.W Tomlinson, 1888, A Comprehensive Guide to the County of Northumberland, p 57; Ordnance Survey Second Edition 1890