Tyne and Wear HER(7879): Spital Tongues, Ancrum Street, Benson Memorial Church - Details
Spital Tongues, Ancrum Street, Benson Memorial Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
United Methodist Free Chapel
In 1845 Messrs Nicholas Scott and John Benson opened a Sunday School in temporary premises. The Benson Memorial Church was opened in 1867 after the death of Mr Benson, who was a prominent citizen, grocer and tea dealer and founder of the Newcastle Stock Exchange. Methodists left in 1949.
O. Taylor, 1993, Bygone Spital Tongues; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside, a survey; North of England Civic Trust, February 2009, Spital Tongues, Newcastle upon Tyne - Suggested Conservation Area Scoping Study, Draft Report, p 11