Tyne and Wear HER(7880): Spital Tongues, Hunter's Moor Hospital - Details
Title of image: Hunters Moor Hospital, Hunters Road, Spital Tongues
Artist: Signey James
Description: A view of Hunters Moor Hospital, Hunters Road, Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1965. The photograph has been taken from Hunters Road looking through the entrance gates towards the main building of the hospital.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hospitals Collection
Accession number: NCL 014592
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Spital Tongues, Hunter's Moor Hospital
Health and Welfare
The second Home for Incurables was opened on 4 August 1893. It was built on the site of the kitchen gardens of Moor Lodge (the original Home for Incurables, see HER 7881). It was designed by local architect Edward Shewbrook, and opened with great ceremony on 4th August 1893 costing £17, 062. It could house 68 patients. The original hospital tower was later removed. In 1931 the name was changed to the St Mary Magdalene Home. After the NHS took it over in 1948, it became known as Hunter's Moor Hospital.
O. Taylor, 1993, Bygone Spital Tongues; D. Richardson, Tyne and Wear Museums, October 2009, Hunter's Moor Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2010, Hunter's Moor Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Evaluation