Tyne and Wear HER(7883): Walker, police station - Details
Title of image: Wharrier Street Police Station, Walker
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Police Collection
Accession number: NCL 044881
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Walker, police station
The police station was built in 1908. On either side of the spacious entrance hall there was a waiting room and superintendent's office. Adjoining this was the charge room and four cells. At the end of the cell corridor there was an airing courtyard for the prisoners. Immediately opposite the entrance was the parade room and police surgeon's room. On the first floor there were messrooms, recreation room and dormitories divided into twelve cubicles. The building was built of red pressed brick with stone dressings, and roofed with Newfoundland green slate. The interior walls were decorated with a salt glazed brick, floors of Portland cement concrete. The entrance hall was tiled. There were stone carvings by Christian Neuper, Newcastle sculptor, on the front elevation of the building - a male figure representing justic and strength, a female figure representing truth and light, and a head symbolic of deceit and falsehood. The building cost £9000.
Hayler Newspaper Cuttings, Vol 2, p 45, September 3rd 1908 [Newcastle City Library Local Studies Section]