Tyne and Wear HER(7890): Newcastle, Brunswick Place, Eye Hospital - Details
Newcastle, Brunswick Place, Eye Hospital
Health and Welfare
In 1822 Doctor Fife opened a hospital for diseases of the eye in Brunswick Place. 7000 patients were treated in the first nine years. This was the same Doctor Fife who, in 1829, lectured on anatomy using the body of a "most disgusting and abandoned female", who had been sentenced to death at the Assizes and taken by cart to the gallows on the Town Moor sitting on her own coffin. 20,000 people came to watch the execution, after which her body was exhibited for six hours in the Surgeon's Hall.
P. Winter, D Milne, J Brown, A Rushworth, 1989, Northern Heritage - Newcastle upon Tyne, p 116; Geoffrey Fisher & Rev. Terry Hurst, North East Methodist History Society, 2009, Brunswick Place 1821-1992, Newcastle upon Tyne, page 12