Tyne and Wear HER(7893): Newcastle, Butcher Bank, Nag's Head - Details
Title of image: The Old Nag's Head Inn
Date: circa 1880
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hotels and Restaurants Collection
Accession number: NCL 014336
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Butcher Bank, Nag's Head
This well known hostelry was at the foot of Butcher Bank. It was described by three Norwich travellers in 1634 as a "stately prince-like freestone Inne, in which we tasted a cupp of good wine". The landlord at this time was Leonard Carr. It was described in 1635 by Sir William Brereton of Cheshire as 'the fairest built inn in England'. It was demolished in 1862. According to tradition it was the home of the Mayors of the town before they moved to the Mansion House in the Close.
F. Graham, 1976, Historic Newcastle, p 20; Graham, F. 1959, Old Inns and Taverns of Northumberland