Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, Duke Street, Chain Locker Public House

Tyne and Wear HER(7898): North Shields, Duke Street, Chain Locker Public House - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

North Shields, Duke Street, Chain Locker Public House

North Shields



Licensed Premises

Public House



Extant Building

A property known as the "Crane House" is listed in records from 1833 onwards at 44 Duke Street, 2 New Quay, 2 Duke Street and 50 Duke Street. It was owned by Mrs Ann Kirby until she died in 1837 or 1838. The house at thr rear was called Kirby's House built onto Kirby's Bank. The properties were listed as houses, shops and pubs. They passed into the hands of W.H. Allison and Co., who operated a brewery in one of the buildings, and went on in 1890 to form the Newcastle Breweries with four other brewery companies. By 1880 the collection of buildings on Duke Street consisted of The Crane House, with a small maltings to the rear, and the adjoining Crown and Thistle pub with stables to the rear. Next to this were warehouses and cottages. In 1905 the Crane House and malting was demolished and rebuilt set back from the road by Joseph Oswald and Son. The surviving building is of two storeys with an oriel window on the first floor. The ground floor is faced in glazed faience. LOCAL LIST




Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2005, The Chain Locker, Duke Street, North Shields - Desktop assessment and recording work; FISHcast, sub-group of FISH (Folk Interested in Shields Harbour), 2007, North Shields - The New Quay and The Fish Quay Conservation Areas - FISHcast Community Character Statement; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9); Lynn F Pearson, 1989, The Northumbrian Pub - an architectural history, 47-50

Back to Search Results