Tyne and Wear HER(7901): Axwell Park, the Whitehouse - Details
Axwell Park, the Whitehouse
In 1632 the manor of Winlaton was divided between Sir William Selby, Sir William Hodgson and Robert Anderson. At the centre of the Selby's portion was their family seat, a house known as Whitehouse or Winlaton Whitehouse, set in a park of some 30 acres. Sir William Blackett was leasing a house called Whitehouse during the period 1668-75. The "Whitehouse Park" was purchased by Sir James Clavering from the Selbys, sometime around 1675. Once the Clavering family moved to "Whitehouse Park" they transferred the name of Axwell to there, thus it became Axwell Park. Sir James Clavering built the present Axwell Hall (HER 4993) in 1758-62, after which the old "Whitehouse" was demolished and the site of it planted with trees. The location of the Whitehouse is thought to be approximately 100 yards west of the present Hall according to Bourn (Surtees claimed it was half a mile west).
G. Stobbs, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2005, Axwell Park, Blaydon, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Assessment; W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton; W.W. Gibson, 1945, The Manor of Winlaton, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4th Series, xxiii, pp 8-26; R. Surtees, 1909, History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham; NPA Ltd. 2011, Axwell Park, Blaydon, Tyne and Wear - archaeological evaluation