Tyne and Wear HER(792): North Weetslade village - Details
North Weetslade village
Weetslade was a member of the barony of Morpeth or Merlay, and in/by the 13th century was split, so that in 1242 there were at least 2 parts, North and South Weetslade. The lay subsidy rolls of 1296 and 1312 showed North Weetslade to be slightly the larger of the two, having 5 taxpayers in 1296 and 7 in 1312. Wrathmell cites evidence for 4 messuages in 1657, 2 messuages and 6 cottages in 1748, and suggests an 18th century dispersal of the tenants to Greens and High Barnes to allow enclosure to proceed. He therefore classes it as a DMV, and prefers the site of the erstwhile farm of Low Weetslade at NZ 262 737. Tomaney suggests as an alternative location the field once called Town Steads, with possible cropmarks, at NZ 256 733.
<< HER 792 >> W.S. Gibson, 1847 The History of the Monastery at Tynemouth, II, lxxxv Northumberland County History, M.H. Dodds, ed. 1930, Weetslade Township XIII, 430-35 Northumberland Records Office- C188 - ZGR dn 1655-1933 Deeds Box 1 Newcastle Library Local Studies, Seymour-Bell, 1799 Land belonging to Brandling 23.1 Newcastle Library Local Studies, Seymour-Bell, 1846, Low Weetslade Farm 23.3 Northumberland Records Office Tithe Award - 1845 Weetslade DT 483 M Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll - (date unknown) Weetslade Shelf, 20A no. 1 Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll - 1810 Weetslade Shelf 20 no. 10 Northumberland Records Office Ordnance Survey maps - 1858 - 1st ed. 1:2500 80.16 Northumberland Records Office Unpublished PhD thesis, University of Cardiff, S. Wrathmell 1975 Deserted Villages of South Northumberland II, 526-7