Tyne and Wear HER(7922): Wallsend, The Green, Middle Farm - Details
Wallsend, The Green, Middle Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
A farmhouse is shown on a plan of Wallsend Village dated 1740. A survey commissioned by the Dean and Chapter of Durham in 1800 mentions "The Grange and Estate" owned by J.M. Atkinson. The estate was 124 acres, 1 rod and 2 perches. The estate included a farm on the site of 205 Park Road. The Wallsend tithe map of 1841 shows the site occupied by a "Farmhouse, stockyard and garth". At this time the site was owned by Mr Thomas Clennell esquire. He had two tenants on the site, John Jameson and Patrick Pie. Landuse was "grass". Thomas Clennell also owned a mansion house and garden in Wallsend called The Grange. Richardson notes that the farmhouse was known as "Middle Farm". The Ordnance Survey first edition shows a rectangular building with a D-shaped annexe (gin-gan or threshing machine) to the rear of the farmhouse. North-east of the farmhouse was a decorative pond in a wooded enclosure. The farmhouse had been demolished by 1919 and a library built on the western part of the site. Soon after 1940 air raid shelters were constructed on the site of the farmhouse (HER 7921).
D.J. Simon, 2005, 205 Park Road, Wallsend - Archaeological Assessment and Buildings Survey; W. Richardson, 1923, History of the Parish of Wallsend