Tyne and Wear HER(7989): Byker, Back Stephen Street, Cumberland Arms - Details
Title of image: Cumberland Arms, off Byker Bridge, Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne
Description: Cat peering out from a wall next to the Cumberland Arms. The pub appears to be up for sale with a sale sign affixed to the far wall of the building. The Byker end of Byker Bridge can be seen in the background.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hotels and Restaurants Collection
Accession number: NCL 017587
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Byker, Back Stephen Street, Cumberland Arms
Shown on second edition Ordnance Survey. Byker Buildings was a street of tenement housing with the Cumberland Arms at the western end. It was proposed for enlargement circa 1898. The then owner was a Mr Thompson of Whickham. This was never undertaken. Instead a Mr James Cackett was engaged to make internal alterations - increasing the bar area and adding a new façade. Nos. 2 and 3 James Place were incorporated into the public house. This plan survives largely unchanged today. LOCAL LIST
Ordnance Survey second edition 1890; G. Stobbs, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2005, Byker Buildings/Stephen Street, Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment; Ouseburn Heritage, Issue 4, page 15; Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 32; Lynn F Pearson, 1989, The Northumbrian Pub - an architectural history, p 33-34