Tyne and Wear HER(7990): Byker, Byker Bank, Imperial Picture House (The Minerva) - Details
Byker, Byker Bank, Imperial Picture House (The Minerva)
Shown on third edition Ordnance Survey of 1913. Described as "the prettiest theatre in the district" in an advertisement of 1910. The Minerva opened circa 15 August 1910 by the Heaton and Byker People's Hall Ltd. It seated 360. It became a warehouse until it was demolished in 1985.
Ordnance Survey third edition 1913, F. Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, pp 83-84; Newcastle upon Tyne Planning Division Development Department, "Ouseburn Heritage", volume 1, page 45; Frank Manders, 2005, Cinemas of Newcastle, pages 27, 98, 159; Terry Lynch, 2008, 'From The Lop to Star and Shadow' in Ouseburn Trust Heritage Group, Newsletter Spring 2008