Tyne and Wear HER(7991): Byker, Byker Buildings - Details
Byker, Byker Buildings
Byker Buildings was a street of tenement housing with the Cumberland Arms at the western end. The northwestern part of the street was built by 1858, the southwestern side after 1883. These were two-storey tenements for four families, with basements to the rear providing communal washhouse, privy and coal store. The northeastern side of Byker Buildings had small gardens to the front. By the 1960s these sub-standard properties had been demolished and replaced by modern maisonettes. These in turn were demolished circa 2001.
Ordnance Survey second edition 1890, G. Stobbs, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2005, Byker Buildings/Stephen Street, Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment