Tyne and Wear HER(7997): North Shields, Northern Wave Trap - Details
North Shields, Northern Wave Trap
Late nineteenth century Northern Wave Trap, composed of massive boulders with sandy foreshore beyond. Built after 1861 to supplement the piers at the entrance to the Tyne as a further progressive barrier to heavy seas at the river mouth. Angular embankment of massive boulders which served to break the force of the waves and to protect the Fish Quay structures and Clifford's Fort. Now owned by Port of Tyne Authority.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Brecky's Factory Site, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Archaeological Assessment; North East Civic Trust, 2001, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Draft Conservation Plan, page 59