Tyne and Wear HER(7998): North Shields, Northern Wave Trap, barbed wire entanglement - Details
North Shields, Northern Wave Trap, barbed wire entanglement
Barbed Wire Obstruction
During World War Two, the land to the east of Clifford's Fort was the focus of military activity. Here the road and the "moat" were enclosed with barbed wire and knife rests, and covered with barracks, air-raid shelters, welfare facilities and other temporary buildings. A battery of two covered 12-pounder quick firing guns, facing out to the river entrance, was completed in November 1940 (see HER 150) to provide defence against motor torpedo boats, and a Blacker Bomabard position (later known as a Spigot Mortar) and balloon barrage were also installed. One iron piquet from the 1939-45 wire entanglement surrounding the coastal battery survives on the boulders. On 10th April 1941 a German bomber dropped four high explosive bombs on the North Groyne and lifeboat house. The intended target may have been the 12-pounder battery. The first and only time that Clifford's Fort was subjected to enemy action.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Brecky's Factory Site, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Archaeological Assessment