Tyne and Wear HER(7999): North Shields, North Groyne - Details
North Shields, North Groyne
North groyne, containing a sewer outfall. Built of boulders after 1861 to supplement the piers at the entrance to the Tyne as a further progressive barrier to heavy seas at the river mouth. At east end are the remains of a timber jetty once leading to Lloyd's Hailing Station (watch-house built in 1902 to record ship movements), now owned by Port of Tyne Authority. The late nineteenth century timber piles of the jetty survive as do the associated iron railing stanchions on the concrete capping to the North Groyne.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2005, Brecky's Factory Site, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Archaeological Assessment; North East Civic Trust, 2001, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Draft Conservation Plan, page 59