Tyne and Wear HER(8010): Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, Nos. 60-68 - Details
Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, Nos. 60-68
Two three-storey brick structures of early nineteenth century date, sitting on stone basement walls which along with the stone southern party-wall with No. 70, are possibly of earlier (medieval) date. The interior of the buildings have been stripped, although some historic structures and fittings remain. Externally, although of simple form, and in very poor condition, the buildings represent a pleasantly restrained Georgian architecture and fit easily with the earlier Market Lane Hotel to the south. The properties are shown on Oliver's plan of 1830 as number 13 and on Ordnance Survey first edition 1:500 with a roofed passage between 64 and 68 which turned into Lloyd's Court. The buildings were commercial. Census returns show the occupants of Nos. 60 to 70 as grocers, chemists, booksellers, furniture dealers, fishmongers, musical instrument seller, cabinet maker and various other trades. No. 68 was the auction house of Messrs Easton and Bell from 1910 to 1935, and their salesrooms ran south through the back parts of No. 70.
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2005, 60-68 Pilgrim Street, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording