Tyne and Wear HER(8014): Newcastle, Barras Bridge, St. James' Place - Details
Newcastle, Barras Bridge, St. James' Place
The area once occupied by St. James Chapel (HER 297) was demolished and rebuilt in 1797-1800 when it became known as St. James' Place with a large house, associated grounds and outbuildings. Shown on Oliver's map of 1838, Tallis' 1851 map and Ordnance Survey first edition map. There was a contract drawn up on 2 August 1828 between Rev. Richard Clayton, Master of the Hospital of St Mary Magdalene and the Brethren, Mayor, Alderen and Common Council of Newcastle and Thomas Carr of Newcastle, gent. In the contract Rev. Clayton agreed to lease the site to Thomas Carr, with permission to rebuild, for 99 years at £50 per annum. The area was cleared away once more to make way for the Hancock Museum in 1878.
Contract, 1828 held by Northumbria Natural History Society (NEWHM 2005 H62) and plan of house and grounds of St James proposed site for new Natural History Museum, 1875 (NEWHM 2002 H1064.3)