Tyne and Wear HER(8027): Cleadon, Front Street, Cleadon House - Details
Title of image: Cleadon House, Front Street, Cleadon, South Tyneside
Date: circa 1900
Description: This black-and-white photograph was printed in a book or leaflet. It shows Cleadon House around 1900.
Additional info: Print
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Pictures Collection
Accession number: NCL 000615
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Cleadon, Front Street, Cleadon House
House. Supposedly 1738 (rainwater heads) for John Dagnia of South Shields, glass manufacturer. Brick with stone dressings; roof of plain tiles. Simple block plan. 2 storeys, 5 windows, including a central Venetian staircase window, all with broad moulded glazing bars, raised surrounds and projecting cills. Plinth, raised quoins; band and coping to parapet of parallel-ridged roof; 4 corniced end brick chimneys. Later porch off-centre; brick with raised quoins and raised surround to door with 6 fielded panels; flat roof. South front to garden has scrolled pediment to central door, moulded architraves to all windows, large oblong fanlights with radial decoration above two side doors; a C19 conservatory encloses the 3 doors. Interior: staircase has dado rail and cornice and a wrought-iron balustrade of c.1750 in a rococo design of leaves, seed-pods and curved bars; the front porch has been inserted beneath this; doors to main rooms in hall have corniced picture-panels; fluted pilasters support an elliptical arch to the narrower section of hall opposite the stairs. LISTED GRADE 2*
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 3/22