Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Cleadon, Cleadon Lane, Church of All Saints

Tyne and Wear HER(8047): Cleadon, Cleadon Lane, Church of All Saints - Details

Back to Search Results


8047


S Tyneside


Cleadon, Cleadon Lane, Church of All Saints


Cleadon


NZ36SE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Parish Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Parish church. 1869 by R J Johnson, south aisle 1907. Snecked limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings, high-pitched roofs of Welsh slate with stone coping to nave and aisle, in Early English style. Nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with 3-sided apse, north transept. 2 windows of 3 lights in nave and aisle; south door in chamfered opening between recessed columns on plinths, with drip mould; 2 buttresses to aisle. Transept has a 2-light window in the gable and an east door with flower stops to a drip-mould. Roof has stone cross finial at west, iron at east; above the chancel a hexagonal timber bellcote with Welsh slate spirelet and iron finial; chimney at the transept gable. Interior: south arcade of 2 wide bays, paintings of Garden of Gethsemane by J Eadie Read of Newcastle c.1914 in spandrels; apse paintings of Christ on the Cross and Christ in Majesty by Michael Hoare of Folkestone in 1967; 2-light west window war memorial by L C Evetts of Newcastle in 1948. LISTED GRADE 2


3858


6235


NZ38586235



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 3/8; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2011, All Saints' Church, Cleadon, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Watching Brief

Back to Search Results