Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Hebburn, Canning Street, Church of St John

Tyne and Wear HER(8066): Hebburn, Canning Street, Church of St John - Details

Back to Search Results


8066


S Tyneside


Hebburn, Canning Street, Church of St John


Hebburn


NZ36SW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Parish Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Parish church, formerly a service wing of Hebburn Hall. Converted to church in 1886-87 by F R Wilson. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; roof of Welsh slate. Oriented NNW-SSE; unaisled; east transept at south end having entrance porch in the angle; west porch at north end. Decorated style windows : 7 of 3 lights in the nave, 2 of 2 lights in the transept elaborate tracery over 7 lights at the north end, all between buttresses with gablets and set-backs. South elevation : 2 massive buttresses having 5 alternate gablets and set-backs between 1-light cusped windows and flanking a tall 2-light window. The roof has a tall pierced, coped belfry supported by the south buttresses, and a central fl├Ęche with 8 gabled louvres. LISTED GRADE 2


3107


6418


NZ31076418



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 2/73; Simpson & Brown and South Tyneside Council, 2007, Hebburn Hall Conservation Area - First draft Character Appraisal; www.hebburn.org; www.norman.dunn247.com; www.999hebburn.co.uk

Back to Search Results