Tyne and Wear HER(8074): South Shields, Dean Road, Church of St. Mary - Details
South Shields, Dean Road, Church of St. Mary
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
1861-62. John Dobson Architect. A handsome, dignified church in the "Decorated" style. Ashlar, of uneven courses, and slate roofs. The church has a chancel, nave with tall north and south aisles, buttressed, no clearstorey, a west tower and porch and vestry. The composition of the west front is most successful. The nave gable wall has a central buttress of 2 stages, to either side 2 tiers of windows and in the apex a rose window. At the north-west a sturdy square tower with angle buttresses; from its west face projects a gabled porch. This porch is balanced on the south-west by a gabled vestry projecting from the south aisle. The original design for the tower was not completed and the stump was capped by a pyramidal roof. This was removed in 1958 and the existing upper stage above the buttresses built. Demolished. Was listed grade 2.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 12/24; N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1985, The Buildings of England - County Durham, page 417