Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Harton Cemetery, chapels

Tyne and Wear HER(8076): Harton Cemetery, chapels - Details

Back to Search Results


8076


S Tyneside


Harton Cemetery, chapels


Harton


NZ36NE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Chapel


Cemetery Chapel


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


1888-91. Henry Grieves, Architect. The Chapels lie to the east of the entrance at the centre of the cemetery. An H shaped plan, the chapels forming the 2 outer arms, the cross-piece formed by the porch and vestry of each chapel with a grand arched carriage-way at the centre. All is built in coursed rubble, with ashlar for dressings and decorative features and with slate roofs. Designed in a free late gothic manner. [Tudor overtones] The most outstanding feature is the very tall and elegant tower and spire which surmounts the central gate-way. Square for the first 2 stages, the archway in the first. Second stage has narrow octagonal turrets at the angles which rise into the third stage. Third stage is octagonal with tall traceried openings. Fourth stage a narrow octagonal stage with pierced parapet. Finally a tall spire. The whole ensemble makes a good set piece within the now mature setting of the cemetery. LISTED GRADE 2


3758


6555


NZ37586555



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 12/19

Back to Search Results