Tyne and Wear HER(8084): South Shields, Ocean Road, Museum and Art Gallery - Details
Title of image: South Shields Library
Date: circa 1910
Description: Black and white external photograph of South Shields Library on Ocean Road. Date unknown.
Additional info: Black and White photograph
Location/Collection: Central Library South Shields/Local Studies Collection
Accession number: STH0011330
Copyright: Digital Image copyright Â© South Tyneside. All rights reserved.
South Shields, Ocean Road, Museum and Art Gallery
Art and Education Venue
1858-60. Former Public Library and Museum. John Wardle, architect. Buff coloured brick, stone dressings, flat roof. Two storeys and basement. Three bays, the centre one of which breaks forward and has rusticated quoins. Designed in a somewhat coarse "Italianate" quatrocento style. The extremities marked by giant pilasters, the facade crowned by a heavy, bracketed stone cornice. The central entrances contained within a semi-circular arched opening divided by a central square column supporting the crown of the arch. Each outer bay lit by 4 segmental headed windows with plain architraves. Over the windows a heavy floor band. First floor lit by 3 grand semi-circular headed openings with continuous cill. Each divided by a central shaft into 2 semi-circular headed lights with the tympanum pierced by a small circular light. Continuous impost band. Rusticated jambs to main openings. Large keystones abut the eaves cornice. Originally built for the Mechanics' Institute, becoming the Public Library in 1873. The museum added in 1876. The Library moved to new premises in 1976. Cleaned and restored 1978-79. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 4/51