Fast Search

You are Here: Home / South Shields, Ocean Road, Marine School

Tyne and Wear HER(8085): South Shields, Ocean Road, Marine School - Details

Back to Search Results


S Tyneside

South Shields, Ocean Road, Marine School

South Shields




Early Modern


Extant Building

1867-69. T M Clemence, Borough Surveyor. 1909. Addition in Wesley Street. T A Page & Son, Architects. Red brick, with stone dressings and flat roof. Dignified essay in the "Elizabethan" style, with projecting bays, tall transom and mullioned windows and classical details. Two storeys, 3 bay square plan. Most of the bays break forward. All corners are marked by rusticated quoins. The central entrance from Ocean Road has a grand stone doorcase of paired rusticated Tuscan columns with full entablature. The elevation crowned by entablature and balustrade. The balustrade pierced above the breaks forward and with decorative cresting above. The bay at the south-east corner is carried up one full storey above the roof level to form a square tower crowned by an entablature and pierced balustrade. It is lit by a semi-circular headed window in each face. The tower originally carried an observatory which was removed in 1979. The building was cleaned and restored, April 1980. This was the original building built for the Marine School. LISTED GRADE 2




Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 4/53

Back to Search Results