Tyne and Wear HER(8088): Harton, Sunderland Road, Church of St. Peter - Details
Title of image: St. Peter's Church, Harton
Date: Post 1877
Description: St. Peter's Church with spire (post 1877) viewed from what is now St. Peter's Avenue, looking south.
Additional info: Black and White photograph
Location/Collection: Central Library South Shields/Local Studies Collection
Accession number: STH0000096
Copyright: Digital Image copyright Â© South Tyneside. All rights reserved.
Harton, Sunderland Road, Church of St. Peter
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
1866-67. C Hodgson Fowler architect. Pleasant, modest church in Early English style. Coursed rubble and ashlar to windows, doors etc. Slate roofs. Church consists of chancel, nave and a south-west tower. Later, C20, vestry etc on north side of chancel. First stage of tower forms the south porch to the church. Tower of 2 stages, then slides into an octagonal ball-turret with 2 light openings under one pointed arch to each face. Capped by an octagonal spire. The east window of 3 lancets filled with stained glass in 1873. Interior very simple in its detail and decoration. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 14/70; N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1983, The Buildings of England - County Durham, page 417