Tyne and Wear HER(8089): South Shields, Westoe Road, Town Hall - Details
Title of image: Town Hall, South Shields
Artist: Fetch Ernest
Description: South Shields Town Hall, copied from an original drawing exhibited at the Royal Academy, London 1905.
Additional info: Copy of an original drawing
Location/Collection: Central Library South Shields/Local Studies Collection
Accession number: STH0002859
Copyright: Digital Image copyright Â© South Tyneside. All rights reserved.
South Shields, Westoe Road, Town Hall
1905-10. Ernest E Fatch architect. A fine example of an "Edwardian Baroque" public building. Grand and self assured. Ashlar, 2 storeys above a high semi-basement and 13 bays long to Westoe Road. Each end bay broken forward as a pavillion, framed by coupled pilasters and crowning pediment. The 3 central bays break forward, have an attic storey, and form a grand centrepiece. The entrance, with a semi-circular headed window above is framed by coupled columns and a broken pediment. Reclining figures on the pediment support a trophy on the apex. The ground floor windows have semi-circular heads. Heavily rusticated base whose rustications are taken up to the springing line of these windows. From this line rises the pilaster order. The symmetry of this composition is badly upset by a grand tower rising above the north pavillion. A tall, plain stage with clock faces is crowned by an octagonal turret with columns supporting gigantic figures. Competition held in 1901 and won by Fatch. A second, limited competition held in 1902 for a more costly building and again won by Fatch. Foundation stone laid 1905, building opened 1910. Good elevation to Beach Road and Broughton Road. Elaborate to Beach Road and simple and restrained to Broughton Road. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 8/72; Paul Usherwood, Jeremy Beach and Catherine Morris, 2000, Public Sculpture of North East England, p 178-180