Tyne and Wear HER(8126): Monkton, Campbell Park and Bedeswell Park - Details
Monkton, Campbell Park and Bedeswell Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
Waste from the smelting of iron ore for Palmer's shipyard was dumped in the fields to the north of Monkton village, eventually creating a vast slag heap which resulted in the Bede Burn being culverted. The slag heap was known locally as the 'Crusher'. This was reclaimed by the time Monkton Cokeworks closed in 1990 to create a large green space for recreation and nature. Campbell Park includes an east footpath which follows the route of the Bowes Railway (HER 1007). This is enlivened by a wagonwheel motif chicane gate, two information panels and a colourful metal steam train art installation. The waggonway has stone boundary walls and mature planting.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, March 2006, Monkton Conservation Area Character Appraisal; N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition)