Tyne and Wear HER(813): Wallsend vicus, Roman temple or shrine - Details
Wallsend vicus, Roman temple or shrine
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
It is suggested that there may have been a temple or shrine near the south-west corner of the fort. This statement is based on the discovery of an altar (HER no. 814), published and illustrated by Bruce, and located by Bruce and MacLauchlan. The altar was found "lying on the ground surrounded by a ring of twelve stones. Each stone was about one foot high and eight or ten inches broad: all twelve stones were roughly dressed. Coins were found under the altar and under several of the stones...". This account is more detailed than MacLauchlan's, but no original source is given.
<< HER 813 >> J.C. Bruce, 1851, The Roman Wall, p. 115 and pl. H. MacLauchlan, 1858, Memoir of a Survey of the Roman Wall p. 7 n. 1 G.R.B. Spain, ed. 1930, Inscribed and Sculptured Stones, Wallsend, Northumberland County History, XIII, p. 542 no. 4 P.T. Bidwell, N. Holbrook & M.E. Snape, 1991, The Roman Fort at Wallsend and its Environs, p. 3 no. 6