Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Monkton, Monkton Lane, Monkton Farmhouse

Tyne and Wear HER(8168): Monkton, Monkton Lane, Monkton Farmhouse - Details

Back to Search Results


8168


S Tyneside


Monkton, Monkton Lane, Monkton Farmhouse


Monkton


NZ36SW


Domestic


House


Farmhouse


Post Medieval


C18


Extant Building


House, formerly farmhouse. Mid C18. Ashlar sandstone; Welsh slate roof; repaired brick gable. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Central 8-panelled door in Tuscan doorcase of stone; sash windows in raised surrounds have rusticated lintels imitating voussoirs, east gable has 2 high narrow widows; rear off- shot raised to 2 storeys. End brick chimney. Interior: staircase dogleg with local characteristic of diminishing balusters at the turn; 2 turned balusters to a tread. Historical note. Re-used lintel-stone in wall over door has inscription 'RFA' '1740' flanking arms of Cock family. Richard and Ann Forster were tenants and occupiers in 1740. Information from D Kear. LISTED GRADE 2*


3202


6366


NZ32026366



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 2/97; North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, March 2006, Monkton Conservation Area Character Appraisal; N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition)

Back to Search Results