Tyne and Wear HER(8188): East Boldon, The Terrace - Details
East Boldon, The Terrace
Built around 1880. An imposing group of red brick handed pairs built with seven large gables to the street. One first bay window has been removed. Some of the window joinery has been replaced. Only a fraction of the decorative timber detailing (bargeboards and window hoods) survives. Nos. 5, 5a and 6 are the most intact. The houses have large gardens with trees and tall hedges. The rears have a variety of offshots. Original rooflights survive, but some tall chimneys and boundary walls have been lost or replaced. There is a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order behind No. 1.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon