Tyne and Wear HER(8219): Birtley, Durham Road, Co-operative Buildings - Details
Title of image: Old Co-operative Store, Durham Road, Birtley
Date: circa 1900
Description: As supermarket chains have extended, the Co-operative Societies have become less important, but once the Co-op was the most important store in every northern village and town. Those using the stores became members of the society, and these members were paid a dividend. Even now most older women will remember either their own or their mother's dividend number, as it was important to give this to staff on every visit to the store. This photograph shows the old store before the fire. The Birtley Co-operative Society began 1861, and had premises first in Mount Pleasant, then in Durham Road, then from 1885 in large premises at Harras Bank. There was a disastrous fire at this store on Christmas morning 1900, and the store eventually re-opened in new permanent premises on Durham Road.
Location/Collection: Gateshead Libraries/Gateshead Local Studies Image Collection
Accession number: GL000619
Copyright: Content Copyright Â© Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved.
Birtley, Durham Road, Co-operative Buildings
Co-operative Society H.Q., now shops and offices. 1901 to 1903 by Liddle and Brown of Newcastle for Birtley Co-operative Society. Brick with ashlar dressings; roof Welsh slate with stone gable copings; lead-covered ogee roofs to towers. L-shaped plan. 2 storeys, 22 windows and 8 in left return. Cornice to ground floor shops defined by rusticated pilasters; later boards cover original fascia. First floor; 8 central bays, defined by Ionic pilasters, have sill and impost bands and keystoned arches to 4 pairs of round-headed windows with glazing bars; flanking 3-storey one-bay towers have large round stone canopy on brackets to chamfered and rusticated office entrance; first floor sash in architrave with projecting sill and second floor keystoned ox-eye window under string and eaves cornice. 6 and 6 outer bays have lugged architraves and projecting sills to double sashes, the inner 3 under gables; eaves cornice. Peaks of gables to street and on returns contain 3 small windows in architraves with conjoined sill between ball-finialled shafts on foliage- decorated brackets; similar shafts to foot stones; shell-ornamented segmental pediment at apex on brick panel with blank shield; consoles to pediment and to gable coping. Roof has balustrade over 8 central bays. Source: Daily Leader 21st August, 1901. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 12/4