Tyne and Wear HER(8230): East Boldon, St. Bede's, Nos. 10 to 36 and No. 2 St John's Tc - Details
East Boldon, St. Bede's, Nos. 10 to 36 and No. 2 St John's Tc
St. Bede's is the main stretch of housing on the south side of Station Road. Two impressive smooth red brick rows of terraced houses in handed pairs. Two storey canted bay windows, most painted white. Original windows, doors, pitched dormers with half glazed cheeks, some with finials surviving, shaped chimney stacks with cream pots and a deep bracketed cornice. Shaped Flemish end gables. Large half timbered front gables to Nos. 21 and 36 at the ends of the second row. Nos. 19 and 20 are slightly larger with half moon gabled windows to the front. The front gardens are well maintained, each with a curved path to a flight of steps up to a six-panelled front door under a square overlight with cart-wheel beading and pedimented timber hoods. All but one set of original railings have gone. No. 16's gate may be original. Boundary walls and piers with pyramid stone caps survive. A high proportion of uPVC windows exists. Chimneys on the large offshots have often been reduced. Nos. 9b to 7 are mid 20th century infill. Behind No. 36 St Bede's is No. 2 St. John's Terrace. The two houses are linked by a single storey range with a castellated parapet.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon