Tyne and Wear HER(824): Wallsend vicus, Roman dedication slab - Details
Wallsend vicus, Roman dedication slab
Part of a slab found before 1732 and seen by Horsley at Cousin's House (later Carville Hall) just west of Wallsend fort. Now lost. An inscription read: ...) VIVVS / ...) VIC(...) / ...)s(oluit (?)(.) "...fulfilled..."
<< HER 824 >> J. Horsley, 1732, Britannia Romana, 1974 ed., p. 208 J.C. Bruce, 1875, Lapidarium Septentrionale, no. 9 G.R.B. Spain, ed. 1930, Inscribed and Sculptured Stones, Wallsend, Northumberland County History, XIII, 543 no. 13 R.G. Collingwood & R.P. Wright, 1965, The Roman Inscriptions of Britain, 1306 P.T. Bidwell, N. Holbrook & M.E. Snape, 1991, The Roman Fort at Wallsend and its Environs, p. 5 no. 18