Tyne and Wear HER(8243): East Boldon, Station Road, Telephone Exchange - Details
East Boldon, Station Road, Telephone Exchange
Boxed shaped 1930s Telephone Exchange and former Barclays Bank. Representative of a style and period of commercial architecture of increasing rarity and interest. The ground floor of the bank has been altered. The boundary walls, doors and steel windows of the Telephone Exchange survive. The large 1960s extension to the rear is intrusive.
North of England Civic Trust on behalf of South Tyneside Council, February 2006, East Boldon Conservation Area Character Appraisal; East Boldon School Centenary 1885-1985; M. Linge, The Story of Boldon; A. Middleton, 1983, Boldon's Witness in Church and Community; N. Pevsner, 1953, The Buildings of England: County Durham; W. Wilson, 1935, A Short History of Boldon