Tyne and Wear HER(8253): Bensham, Bensham Road, Church of St. Cuthbert - Details
Bensham, Bensham Road, Church of St. Cuthbert
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
1848 by John Dobson with wide north aisle added in 1875. Coursed stone with ashlar dressings, high pitched Welsh slate roof, in simple Romanesque style. Prominent eaves corbel table. 5-bay nave divided by flat buttresses. Single round headed windows in deep recesses. Short, low apsidal chancel has small cross-gabled aisles, the southern having chevron moulding to window and a small turret on the peak. South-west tower, of two stages, holds porch with chamfered and moulded doorway and two orders of nook-shafts. Stone broach spire with lucarnes. Small west vestry extension. Interior-round arcade piers, simple double-chamfered arches. West gallery on wood columns. Arch braced timber roof on stone corbels. Rib vaulted chancel, chevron moulded arch. Some good stained glass by Wailes, and by Thompson. In 2009 a photographic record was undertaken ahead of the redevelopment of the building for residential use.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 6/6, The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2009, St Cuthbert's Church, Bensham, Gateshead, Historic Buildings Recording